Mittwoch, 15. Februar 2012

On The Fringe - Courtney King Walker

Title: On The Fringe
Author: Courtney King Walker
Rating: 4/5

Claire's world isn't the same after Daniel, who happens to be her brother Matthew's best friend but also her secret crush, gets murdered. While everyone else is living their lifes, almost as if nothing happened, Claire can't forget about Daniel and her lost. On her sixteenth birthday, she drowns but get saved by Daniel. Somehow, while she was dead he and her connected and she was able to see him. Now, being alive again, she is the only one who can see him and this time she is not willing to lose him again. But at some point the two of them got to face that their connection could be very dangerous too.


It was pretty easy to connect with Claire as the reader and a teenage girl. Her fears are very realistic and her deep love for Daniel is just wonderful and powerful aswell. Also, I think, it's great how much she cares about all the people around her. At least it felt that way to me. Of course, the person, or better said former person, she cares about the most is Daniel, but seriously, who wouldn't want to know what really happened when he died and is now stuck "on the fringe"?


I don't know what it is, but I always fall for male characters in books
(especially when the author writes from a guy's point of view, too). I know, there are a lot of girl who have crushes on book characters. I wouldn't call it crush, but I can't help but notice their cuteness. See, in this book, Daniel never really paid much attention to Claire. He saw her and afterwards he has a lot of memories shared with her, but she was always just Matthew's little sister. Then, suddenly, he is dead and realizes how things could have been between him and Claire. It's tragic, really. And so sweet! He is so protective over her when it comes to Aden (who died and is now a ghost aswell).

The scene I loved the most was probably the one when Claire and Daniel figured out they had that four-and-a-half-minute connection. I found that really interesting, though as I write it down now like this, it sounds kind of lame. I suggest, you read this book yourself, so you can see it isn't as lame as it sounds with all my "interesting" and "great" and all that.


During the book, there are some facts that will warm your heart or shock you a bit. I liked the balance of both things and I'm glad that the romance didn't shrink with it.


At first, I wasn't so sure if I should give this book four stars or not. When I started this book and went through the first chapters, I was quite confident that it'd end up with four stars. Now that I finished it, I have to admit that I am not very happy with the ending. To be fair, there are probably only three books out of hundreds, with whose endings I am happy or almost happy, so endings are always a little difficult for me. In the end I decided to be gentle and give it four stars anyhow. I mean, it all worked for me: The characters appeared real, the writing was great, it was a very, very good debut novel and I am glad I picked it up. The fact that I have an issue with endings, shouldn't do this book any harm, so four stars. Let me one more thing:
On The Fringe was even better than I expected it to be. It was an experiment I am grateful for I dared. :) Now go and do too!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen