Sonntag, 10. November 2013

Mafia Girl - Deborah Blumenthal

Title: Mafia Girl
Author: Deborah Blumenthal
Rating: 4/5

Thanks to Albert Whitman & Company via Netgallery for allowing me to read this book before the official publication.

Her whole school has a love/hate relationship with Gia. The reason is the business of her father: He is the boss of all bosses. When she meets Michael, a cop, she knows right away that there is something between the two of them. But can a "Mafia Girl" really fall for the opposite side? Also, can she prove that she is more than her name makes her?

I've been a fan of Deborah Blumenthal's work ever since I read "The Lifeguard", which is one of my all time favourite reads. I think that list got longer with "Mafia Girl" now.

While I read this, I always came to stops, but than I just took a glimpse of the next chapter and thought: "What will happen between her and Michael?" and I couldn't put it down for long. So, yes, it's safe to say - this romance or whatever you might call it, is probably one of my most favourite romances in books ever. I don't know why. But the scenes between them are fabulous. I was a bit afraid that Clive, one of Gia's best friends, would get in the way. I guess I am spoling right now, aren't I? Well, I'll just tell you, you can either be Team Michael or Team Clive. There are enough scenes that prove that Clive can be just as good for her. Probably even better - he wouldn't mess with Gia's head. But Gia also assumes Clive is gay, so he is out of the game.

I don't know why I didn't like the Vogue theme. I am not that much into fashion or into labels, maybe that's a reason. I still liked the scenes between Gia and her family though. In the back of your head you always know they are rich (*coughs* from not very legal money), but you don't really get the impression that they are selfish or snobs. They just try to be a good family. And also the sayings between Gia and her dad are just lovely. You actually find yourself feeling sorry for him, though you shouldn't. It's sad.

I would have liked to read more of Anthony. There are a couple of scenes with him, yeah, but you don't really get to see the real him, don't understand the way he is thinking or what he feels like. So, I really need a "Mafia Boy", Deborah :] Pretty, please?

I am giving this book four stars. I don't think Deborah is able to disappoint me, ever. Maybe I'm reading too much into it since this is the second book I read written by her, but yeah... I just loved it. It was really great and also the theme itself was so much different from all these typical Young Adult books. I'm glad I received it via NetGallery. Thanks again for that!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen