Dienstag, 28. Juli 2015

Easy Silence - Beth Rinyu

Title: Easy Silence
Author: Beth Rinyu
Rating: 4.5/5

Thanks for NetGalley and Beth Rinyu for letting me receive a digital copy of this book.
They say you never forget your first love. No matter how many more come along or how much time goes by, there will always be that one person who will be forever embedded deep inside your heart and soul. For me, that was Jaxson Callahan.

We were complete opposites. I was a senator’s daughter. My parents were always too busy keeping up appearances on the political scene to show me love, so instead they bought my affection.

He was the son of a woman who allowed men to use and abuse her as well as him, just for her next fix.

We became each other’s solace during that summer we met, creating a lifetime of memories in three short months. I provided him with a sense of hope that there was more than just the harsh reality of the life he had grown accustomed to, and he showed me a genuine love that I had been yearning for my entire life. We vowed to be together forever.

I loved him and he loved me…. and nothing would keep us apart.

Nothing except the secrets that were hiding in that small seaside town.

Secrets that altered our destiny. We were never given any warning as we watched our future shake, crumble and disappear altogether, leaving us with nothing but memories of a bittersweet past.

Life can be beautiful.
Life can be kind.
And, life can be heartless…..because nothing about our situation was fair.

I can't... I just can't... This book is so heavy, so heartbreaking and so beautiful. I can't write this review without crying. And if I can, I won't even be able to write down my thoughts. I just can't concentrate, thinking about Easy Silence.

Maybe it was the author's style of writing, maybe it was the activities that the main characters did in this book (one of those was frog catching, by the way) or maybe it was the beach setting. I'm not sure what held my attention so bad that I couldn't put this book down. I didn't want to, but I eventually had to sleep at some point, so I didn't finish it in one session, I'm sorry to admit that.

At first, it must have been the author's writing, because I was hooked from the very first page. Samantha was described as a sweet young girl that wanted to spend the summer before college with her grandmother, who's been sick with altzheimer. Her grandmother is becoming more ill each day, having a hard time remembering the poeple around her. Sometimes, she'd think her son Max, Samantha's dad, is just a young boy and can't imagine Sam being her granddaughter.

One day, Samantha meets Jaxson. He is a troublemaker and everyone tells Sam to better stay away from him. But he rescues her from drowning and lovely and well-raised as Samantha is, she think she's got to thank him for that somehow. In the beginning, Jaxson doesn't want to know the least about her, he also doesn't speak that much, but soon he arranges with the situation and lets her in a bit more. And then some more.

Both have got problems. Samantha is sick of always being second when it comes to her dad. Even that summer he rather spends his time in Europe, along with her mother, then stay with her and his sick mother. Jaxson makes her want more from life than that and dares her to be a brave girl. But the boy of her dreams has got demons of his own, too. I'm not sure whether I should write about them or if it gives too much away. Let's just say his parents aren't good people. In fact, they're really bad people. Most of the time, he spends his time with Pete, who is like a father to him. Pete is also the one who lets Samantha find out more about the secrets of her family. And they are heavy, believe me.

What I liked was the speed of this book. That's such a weird thing to say, but it wasn't rushed, nor was it too slow. It followed a clear path and I liked every single scene. Seriously, there wasn't one thing that I disliked. Okay, to be honest, I disliked the end. Very much. I mean, it's romantic and stuff, but all the readers of this book will know what I'm trying to say. You can't help the tears that will want to escape. Let them roll, it's totally fine.

Why is it always the good and awesome books that make it so hard to write a helpful review? I don't know. But I'm out of words, so it's no use to force any more. I recommend this book to everyone. It was that awesome! Thank you Beth for writing such a masterpiece. It was the first book I read from this author, but I know it won't be the last. Also, I totally admired the author's note. Beth Rinyu says that she wrote the story the way she wanted it, and thank God she decided on that!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen