Dienstag, 17. November 2015

Faith (Hades Angels #01) - Elizabeth Hayes

Title: Faith (Hades Angels #01)
Author: Elizabeth Hayes
Rating: 3/5

Thanks to NetGalley and Limitless Publishing for letting me receive a digital copy of this book.
My life changed in an instant when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was only eighteen, and suddenly my once clear path was racing a hundred miles an hour out of control. I was in the driver’s seat, but completely unable to steer my life back on course. I lost friends and didn’t bother to make new ones. I refused to let anyone in…

When the doctor uttered the word “remission,” my path changed yet again. That new path led somewhere I never expected—somewhere most people would look down on—but it’s where I finally found myself, and where nobody treated me like a piece of fragile glass. It’s also where I learned other people had scars to hide. This is the story of how I met…him.

This is the story of how I became Faith.

If you're reading my reviews from time to time, you know that I am not a huge fan of reading about diseases and illness and all that stuff. So, in the beginning, I was disappointed to find out that the main character in this story, Faith/Laura, once was a victim of a terrible disease. However, I am glad the author didn't highlight it so much. I mean, of course you get to read about her fears and her past, but you never feel pressured by it, like the thoughts are forced.

Unfortunately, it took some time for me to get into the book. At first, Faith seemed like a really dark novel. I was sure of reading about dark secrets, the past following her up to the present and a dramatic ending. And then the story changed was Bryce came to view, which took a really long time, to be honest. But I can see that making sense. You want to explain the main character's story to the reader first, so it's all good.

Bryce and Faith's/Laura's relationship grows serious pretty fast. You wouldn't even feel a real connection between them, but that's probably my mistake because I'm so used to reading new adult or young adult romances, where it takes a hundred pages to let sparks fly and with adult romance books (or at least with this one), it happens so much faster. I wasn't used to that.

Also, there are more scenes of Faith and her friends, including Melody (who needs her own book, so we'll find out who the mysterious Gage is) than there are of the lovebirds, Bryce and Faith. That seemed really odd to me and may be the reason why I didn't really feel chemistry between the two of them.

Gah, I feel like I can't express myself. I am not, NOT, saying that this book is bad. It's a quick read, which I strangely prefer these days, and it was definitely not bad. I read far worse books, let me tell you. I just think that this book wasn't exactly right for me. And now to name a few good things, I'd like to mention that I adored Laura's cats, they were so cute. Also, I would have loved to read more scenes with her parents in the beginning. I would have liked to read about how they dealt with Laura's illness.

I'll leave this review short (compared to others I have written in the past). If you think I'm saying this book isn't worth a read, then I am sorry to have made you feel that way. I think it is worth a read, if you like this kind of genre and the story behind it. And please note the stars I gave this book - three stars. That's still a high rating, I think. So something about this book must have hooked me so I kept reading it. I can't really tell you what that certain thing was, I can't name it myself. Yet, Faith is a nice read and if you look for a novel that doesn't need two hundred pages to somehow reveal a story, it might be the right book for you!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen