Samstag, 28. November 2015

Paper Thin - Jennifer Snyder

Title: Paper Thin
Author: Jennifer Snyder
Rating: 4/5

Thanks to NetGalley, Jennifer Snyder and Xpresso Book Tours for letting me receive a digital copy of this book.
Fate has always seemed to mock Charlotte Montgomery, continuously dangling the man of her dreams just out of reach. It isn’t until Charlotte receives word her older sister Emma is getting engaged that she feels fate’s teasing has hit a new high.

Once she begrudgingly decides to return home to the tiny town of Parish Cove, curious to find out who has captured her sister’s heart, fate suddenly seems as though it may have tossed her a bone.

The problem: Charlotte forgot one simple thing…Fate has never been her friend.

Emotions run high. Happiness will be shattered. And tragedy will strike, leaving everyone feeling paper thin.

I requested this book, thinking I had read one of Jennifer Snyder's books before, but I still can't tell. I had zero expectations, I wanted to be open-minded when it came to Paper Thin and so this book totally blew my mind.

Charlotte is a young college student who returns to her hometown, because her sister is set to celebrate her engagement party. A few years ago, Charlotte left town because she wanted to go to college and also couldn't deal with her mother's sickness that started kicking in then. She though that her sister Emma had it all under control. Once she returns to town, she finds herself face-to-face with her long-term crush, Dawson. Old feelings start to grow until some shocking news ruin everything for Charlotte. And just as she makes her way back to college, another dramatic news goes off, changing her whole life.

So much for my retelling of the synopsis. I really adore Jennifer Snyder's writing style. She's all about emotions, which makes it easy to understand the character's motivations. Although I don't agree with the way the story ended (I wonder where all the money comes from?!), I liked the way it developed. Usually, the books about returning to a hometown aren't my thing, so I was surprised to like this one so very much.

At first Paper Thin reminded me of a novel I have written myself, especially because of the Dawson thing. I enjoyed Charlotte and Dawson's scenes a lot! The one in which she watches him take a swim is my favourite. And because I liked him and he seemed like a really sweet boy, I was so sad about the ending. But you'll see for yourself if you decide to read this book (please do, I can only recommend it!).

Then there is Sadie, Charlotte's best friend at college (her name is Sadie, right?). She's the one who catches her when she falls. She comforts her after she returns from home, takes her out to a club and introduces her to a band. Charlotte soon starts feeling a certain attraction toward one of the members, but it doesn't last long. By the end of their concert, both girls walk to their car and that's when Charlotte gets a phone call that changes everything. And also then, Sadie is right by her side, offering to be the friend she needs in that situation.

Charlotte drives back to her hometown, needing to be there for a family. And that's when I started hating her sister, Emma. Alright, I wasn't a big fan of her right from the start, but it only got worse when she started being mean to Charlotte. I can see why she feels that way and is angry at the whole world, doesn't mean I still approve of it. And when she did what she did... I was shocked and disappointed. But it was important for the story, same as the club visit before the shocking phone call, only I didn't understand that at first either.

Honestly, each scene and each chapter is necessary for the story itself. It's like a well-organized puzzle without a missing piece. So even though this review is kind of short compared to other reviews I have written in the past, it's all I can manage right now. I was an emotional wreck for at last two days after I finished Paper Thin, so I suggest you finish it on a Friday or a Saturday morning. That way, you'll have enough time to collect your thoughts and write a review yourself. This book deserves all the support it can get and it's one of my favourite emotional-reads, as well.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen