Dienstag, 15. Dezember 2015

His Dream Role - Shannyn Schroeder

Title: His Dream Role
Author: Shannyn Schroeder
Rating: 2.5/5

Thanks to NetGalley and Kensington Books for letting me receive a digital copy of this book before its official release.
Free Mitchell loves the theater. In his dreams he's the one taking the spotlight. But so far he's played against character by following in his father's footsteps as an investment banker. When he's masquerading as Dr. Who or Sherlock Holmes to help his brother, he feels he can escape his shy, dorky persona. But nothing's prepared him to play boyfriend to a gorgeous girl like Samantha Wolf.

Samantha isn't quite sure what to think of Free. He's cute, sweet, and quirky, but his outlandish costumes make him seem crazy. However, it turns out Sam has a soft spot for theater nerds. And the more time they spend together, the more their steamy romance begins to take center stage. Only problem is, there doesn't seem to be a script. And it's anyone's guess how this one will end.

I am not sure what happened... Alright, I have no freaking clue. I was so into this series, liking both of the previous books, but His Dream Role missed my expectations. The story idea itself was good, but I missed background informations and depth. Also, with Hunter in His New Jam I didn't notice, but I kind of disliked reading the same scenes from the previous two books from Free's point of view. It was like a deja vu and I'd have just rather skipped those.

However, I feel really sorry for not liking this book better. As mentioned, I liked the first two, so why not this one?! It felt a little forced to me, like the characters themselves didn't know what to do with their lives. I'm talking about Free especially here. First, I got the impression he didn't like joining his father's business and suddenly he got into a fight with Sam because he wanted to?! I didn't understand that.

Talking about Samantha... I was surprised to read about a girl that worked in a shelter. I loved that. It was a really good idea, only we didn't exactly read about her work at the shelter. We did, but only in conversations she had with other people. There aren't any scenes at her place of work. Why not?! I would have liked that. That's the reason I complain about the book's depth. It lacked of it.

One thing I liked was Free's costumes. The characters are supposed to be nerdy and Hunter wasn't much of a nerd, not as much as Adam anyway. I'm glad Adam and Free were so similar. Quoting movies, dressing about as Doctor who, yeah, Free has got a real nerdy heart. I liked that.

Also, it was mentioned that Sam came from a rich family and though there were a couple of conversations with her parents, I would have liked to find out more about her past life, how she grew up with rich parents. Maybe I can't expect that of a short book, but I feel like a lot of things were missing and I am sorry for that.

So, just because His Dream Role wasn't what I expected, I think you should read the other two books I have reviewed, though. They're called His Work of Art featuring my favourite male character of Shannyn's, Adam, and His New Jam for the music fans among you guys.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen