Montag, 23. Mai 2016

The Other Side of Gravity (Oxygen #01) - Shelly Crane

Title: The Other Side of Gravity (Oxygen #01)
Author: Shelly Crane
Rating: 3.5 - 4/5

Thanks to NetGalley and Red Coat PR for letting me receive a digital copy of this book.
My name is Maxton and I’m a trader.
I live on a soulless planet where gravity, oxygen, and everything else are sold to the highest bidder on the black market. People are sold on the black market, too. You have to work really hard not to become one of those people. Pay your taxes, keep your friends and family close, and more than anything else—don’t get caught by the Militia. But all the rules changed for me the day I found her.

My name is Sophelia and I’m a stowaway.
I’ve been a slave for almost as long as I can remember. Waiting for the one day, one second, for my proprietor to turn his head so I could run and never look back. Now I'm on the run. And on a planet where no one is on your side and people would turn you in for a good meal or a piece of a silver, being on the run on Landu is the last place you want to be. Until he found me.

I won't survive without him.

I can't breathe without her.

On Goodreads, I came across a lot of negative reviews or bad rating, at least. I don't understand why. I know - different tastes and all that, but The Other Side of Gravity wasn't 'stupid' or 'boring' or whatever other word people wrote about it. Of course, it's not all smiling unicorns, either. There were things I didn't like as well, yes, but I'd never think of rating it with one or two stars only. When I first found out about Shelly writing this one, I was sure it'd become a huge hit, because everyone seemed so in love with her Significance books. Guess some just liked those better.

I never really thought I'd enjoy reading about future settings so much. But lately, I read a lot of these stories and I happen to like them a lot. Especially if the world within is so well figured out as Shelly did it. Honestly, I'd like to write such a book myself, but I think I'd go mad, never able to keep up with who is who or how that certain world works and such things. It's crazy. And I am really impressed by any author who manages to create another universe. You know, it's not all fantasy in this book. About the story, I mean. Because the people choose to move to another planet after the earth became a bad place. And to me, that's an important topic, up-to-date.

So, the story is told from two point of views - Maxton's and Sophelia's. To be honest, I liked reading Maxton's point of view a little more, but that's because I am a fan of getting into the boy's head in a book. At times, I was really angry at Sophelia, because she misunderstood so many things and acted all shy and then all feisty in the next scene. But coming to think of it, I think that's a needed aspect for her character. I mean, she was a slave for so long, she doesn't really know how to interact with other people, who to trust, what certain feelings mean. She's like a lost puppy. And then of course Maxton is the saviour. I adored him! Though he seemed kind of arrogant and mean in the beginning (I also didn't like that hipster language he used to with co-workers on the ship), you'll grow to love him really quickly. He's awesome!

When you start reading the book, the first few pages will kill you - emotionally. That's what they did to me. I sobbed so hard and wanted to hug my own mom so bad. I felt so sorry for Soph, aww. I feel like crying all over again. But things get better... You gotta have faith in that. It doesn't seem that way in the next chapter, but Soph never gives up hope either, so you shouldn't do it. Give this book a chance, it's not all every-human-hates-Soph-like. She had a hard time, that much is true, but please don't be annoyed by finding out about it. It's what makes the further line in the story so much more thrilling. I loved reading about Soph's and Maxton's journey, especially when they got to Maxton's family. I hope we'll get to find out more about them.

Towards the end, when the two met two guys, described as Dee and Dum (Hello, Alice in Wonderland), I got annoyed. Not annoyed, exactly, but I lost interest. Things seemed to take on speed, far too much speed. Don't get me wrong, the book is pretty big, at least that's what it felt to me, reading it on my cell. I'm not complaining about its length at all, but due to how many pages the book had, I felt like a few more couldn't hurt, just to keep the pace right. Also, when they got to the beach, that's when everything got out of control for me. It seemed too predictable. Those who read the book yet might know what I am talking about.

So, having everything said that I can think of right now, I still think The Other Side of Gravity is one of my favourite reads when it comes to other planets, sci-fi stuff. And let's face it - the cover is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. I could stare at it for days. And for me, it captures the emotion Soph feels when she is with Maxton. I love it.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen