Freitag, 19. August 2016

The Boyfriend Bet (Boyfriend Chronicles #02) - Chris Cannon

Title: The Boyfriend Bet (Boyfriend Chronicles #02)
Author: Chris Cannon
Rating: 2/5

Thanks to NetGalley and Entangled Publishing, LLC for letting me receive a digital copy of this book before its official release.
Zoe Cain knows that Grant Evertide is way out of her league. So naturally, she kisses him. Out of spite. Not only is Grant her brother’s number-one nemesis, but he has zero interest in being tied down to one girl. She’s shocked—and secretly thrilled—when they start spending more time together. Non-exclusively, of course, but that doesn’t mean Zoe can’t change his mind, one PDA and after-school detention at a time.

Zoe’s brother claims Grant is trying to make her his “Ringer,” an oh-so-charming tradition where a popular guy dates a non-popular girl until he hooks up with her, then dumps her. Zoe threatens to neuter Grant with hedge clippers if he's lying but Grant swears he isn’t trying to trick her. Still, that doesn’t mean Grant is the commitment type—even if winning a bet is on the line.

I am so sad to say this, but I didn't enjoy this book. Like, at all. I really wanted to. I read so many great reviews for Chris Cannon books, but I got disappointed, reading The Boyfriend Bet. The main characters were annoying as hell. Grant was such a jerk, never deciding on what he wants. He is such a player, even worse than those you read about in new adult novels. And all he ever did with Zoe was taking her out for dinner. That wasn't creative at all. I can see that teenage boys are just exactly like that - uncreative, bored by their girlfriends quickly and all that stupid stuff - but bleh! I hated him. Same with Zoe, actually. She seemed so naive to me and I didn't understand why she even liked Grant. The first chapter... Yeah, uhm... Was that bitchy? Cheap? I didn't see the point. Honestly. Maybe it's difficult for authors to come up with a good idea about the main characters meeting each other, but that was just... Too much, too fast.

And I wish I could say positive things about this book. I do. But I can't think of any. Alright, one... I liked Grant's best friend. He seemed nice enough. A nerdy kind of guy. Of course, he was all messed up in the head, too, not admitting how much he liked Zoe's best friend and all that, but he was better than Grant himself. That's for sure.

So, I didn't see any chemistry between the characters and I think they would have been better off without each other. I was unpleasantly surprised by how fast Grant's mother changed her mind about Zoe, especially since she was so mean to her in the school office. Is that a spoiler? I hope not. His father was okay-ish and my favourite character might have been Zoe's brother, actually. He was the only smart one, to be honest. The relationship between Zoe and Grant seemed forced to me, but sadly, it isn't an unrealistic story since I know enough girls who run after guys again and again, no matter what they do, no matter what they say. I guess from now on, I'll call them The Zoes, haha.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen