Sonntag, 9. Juli 2017

Falling For Forever (Before Forever #02) - Melissa Chambers

Title: Falling For Forever (Before Forever #02)
Author: Melissa Chambers
Rating: 3/5

Thanks to NetGalley and Entangled Publishing, LLC for letting me receive a digital copy of this book before its official release date.
The second Jenna Quigley turns eighteen, she’s headed to L.A. to extend the timer on her fifteen minutes of fame. Too bad her dad made her promise to graduate high school first. Silver lining? Her new school has a serious talent competition with a $25,000 cash prize, which would go a long way in L.A. Jenna’s got plenty of talent—she didn’t almost win America’s Newest Sensation for nothing. But it’ll take everything she’s got to bring down the music nerd with a stick up his butt...no matter how cute he is in those glasses.

Miles Cleveland needs to win that talent contest. When some hot girl stole his audition spot on America’s Newest Sensation, his chance to study music flounced off to New York with her. Now, not only can he win enough money to pay for his education, he can get revenge on that very same girl. He can’t start to question his plan, though...no matter how deep Jenna buries into his heart.

I wasn't able to read this one before the official publication date. Probably, because when I requested it, I wasn't sure whether I had made the right decision or not. I read the first book in the series called The Summer Before Forever and I absolutely loved it. Jenna's story, I wasn't interested in much, but I still wanted to give it a go since I adored Melissa Chambers writing style and her sweet teen story.

Unfortunately, the predictable happened - I didn't like Falling For Forever nearly as much as the prequel. Maybe I'm not being fair, since I just happen to always dislike stories about 'famous' people and while Jenna's path is mainly going backwards instead of aiming for Hollywood fame, I still struggled. And the teenage drama clique including a mean girl called Bianca didn't make it any better. Also the music competition itself didn't appeal to me, but that's all on me. I enjoyed reading about Jenna and Miles partnership on the song writing lessons, though. I wish we would have read about a song they wrote together. We all would have swooned.

Jenna isn't the typical shy teenage girl you read about in most YA reads. She's more like the opposite without being a rebel or a meanie. She's very unique and always speaks her mind, doesn't let anybody get her down. I think that's an improvement to the other girls we read about that want to become famous. They're not very confident and giving them self confidence is their whole path in a book. With Jenna there were other motives. Her story wasn't about overcoming fears or insecurities. It was deeper than that and Miles balanced it out with his problems that weren't real problems to me. But he's a cutie anyway, so I forgive him. He's no Landon, but well... Who is?!

I think the author did a good job with not answering a certain question by the end of the book. The story might have been ruined if she had. On the other hand, I'm curious to find out and will most likely think about a good solution for me.

To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of Jenna's friends at her new school - especially Nicolette. You'll know why I disliked her when you get to that point of the story. Greta might be the exception, because Jenna and her bonded very well in a scene and I liked that. And then Shane... Gosh, can he please grow a pair? By the end of the book, I got the feeling he got more confident, but I think as soon as Bianca will come running towards him, he'll cave in and be the big stupid puppy he always was. I mean, he isn't that bad. There were good sides, too. In some scenes, he was a very good friend to Jenna and then he finally treated Miles like he wasn't his worst enemy anymore either. Let's work with that.

My heart was bleeding for Jenna during the toughest part of the story. She's such a strong character, I don't know how the author managed to give her such strength and make it seem believable. I didn't even ever question her strength, like I never thought it was an act. She had to grow up fast at a young age and I felt so damn sorry for her. I was glad she could still count on her father.

Alright, so... Again, I didn't like Falling For Forever as much as The Summer Before Forever. I will cherish that one until the end of time, but I liked diving back into this world - also reading about Chloe and Landon again. If you've read the first book in this series, I think you should also read this one. And if you happen to be have a weak spot for teen reads that include music, this one's it for you.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen