Samstag, 11. November 2017

The First Kiss Hypothesis - Christina Mandelski

Title: The First Kiss Hypothesis
Author: Christina Mandelski
Rating: 4/5

Thanks to NetGalley and Entangled Crush for letting me receive a digital copy of this book before its official release.
Nora Reid believes scientific laws control everything, even love. With her grandparents’ epic first kiss story cemented in her brain, Nora develops a hypothesis she’s determined to prove:for each person in the world, there is exactly one other person, and at first kiss, they’ll experience an immediate and intense reaction.

But after four years of zero-reaction kisses, she comes up with a new theory: maybe that pesky crush on her stunningly hot best friend Eli Costas is skewing her results.

She needs to get rid of him, and fast.

Eli Costas is an injury-prone lacrosse star with a problem—the one chance he had at winning over the girl next door resulted in the most epically sucktastic first kiss ever. And now she’s…trying to get rid of him? Hell no. It’s time to disprove her theory and show her exactly what she’s missing.
Game. On.

This is exactly the kind of book I expect whenever I request a book published by Entangled. This book is the perfect example for why I love the way they pick their books. It's cute, funny and the characters are both smart - super smart, even. I love a well-written character who's obsessed with maths or science. It's one of my weak spots when it comes to authors and their stories. And I loved the mix of Nora - the brain, and Eli - the sporty dude. I never really enjoy reading about sports, but it was different with The First Kiss Hypothesis and I can't even explain why. The sports wasn't the main focus and the two characters were too sweet to be true. I seriously loved their relationship, their chemistry. Their interactions made me think of them as the perfect couple.

Also, there was a serious topic 'hidden' in this book. Nora's grandmother, who, at times, doesn't even recognize her granddaughter. That old lady broke my heart, but then again I loved the way she still managed to encourage Nora when she needed it. I'm glad the author didn't choose for this topic to be too heavy, just the right amount of it. And then about Eli and Nora's pie obsession - something I can't relate to because pie isn't that popular in Germany. I don't even think I've ever eaten one, so the two should definitely take me to that place for the best pie in the world. Sometimes, I was annoyed by the ever-lasting, "Let's go and have pie" thing, but it was their thing, so I didn't mind too much.

Of course I was angry with Nora for not seeing what's right in front of her, with Eli for just shutting off. I can't put down in words how much I adored these two, how much I still do. Eli wants to prove Nora her hypothesis is wrong, but she doesn't want to hear about it. If there's no spark when she first kisses a guy, there's no second chance. Truth be told, I liked Tex enough to feel sorry for him when it felt to me like Nora was leading him on. Which is why I could imagine a book about him. I doubt there'll be one, but that would be my wish. Also, I wanted to roll my eyes at her hypothesis, but I secretly loved that the author came up with this idea. It's unique.

Lacrosse always makes me think of Teen Wolf, which I loved, so naturally, I pictured Eli as perfect as he was described. I think that Christina Mandelski captured both the characters' voices perfectly and I always felt whatever they felt. So the writing was really, really great and I can't believe her other book - The Sweetest Thing - has been on my eReader for about six years now. Although I'm too hooked on The First Kiss Hypothesis now to even give it a fair chance. I'll have to wait for that one. Hopefully not another six years.

Definitely one of my favourite reads from Entangled. I loved, loved, loved it. I was sad when I reached the end and I encourage everyone to get this book if you're looking for a sweet young adult read. This is absolutely perfect!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen